The History Of Yoe Fire Company
In the Year 1899 a group of men in the small borough of Yoe, Pennsylvania decided that the town was in need of a Fire Department. On Saturday evening December 9, 1899, a large number of people gathered together in the Yoe Band Hall for the purpose of formally organizing the Citizens Fire and Hose Company #1. Their membership totaled 72.
On December 15, 1899, the Citizens Fire and Hose Company #1, Yoe Pa. filed in the office of the York County Court of Common Pleas a Charter for incorporation which was certified on January 8, 1900.
The department’s first piece of fire suppression equipment was a Hand Drawn Hose and Chemical Carriage being purchased in March of 1900. The first fire station was a frame building located parallel to the Ma and Pa Railroad, on the N.E. corner of Pennsylvania Ave. and Main St. There is no accurate documentation of the following, but the building is said to have been moved to the edge of town on West Water Street near the Wallena Tobacco Factory.
In 1911 a brick 2 1/2 story 30 x 60 structure was built on the West side of Main Street just North of Broad Street at a cost of $3,850.00. The cast iron letters near the very top face indicated Citizens Fire and Hose Co. #1, Yoe, PA.
In March of 1922, a Purchasing Committee was formed with instructions to “Buy a motorized fire truck in the $4,000.00 to $6,000.00 range. On May 9, 1922 a Child Apparatus on a Reo Chassis was purchased for $4,395.00. At the same time, it was motioned to sell the carriage at the best offer. The carriage would in fact never be sold, and due to housing requirements in the middle 1950′s, it was moved to a storage garage just west of the fire hall. As the condition of the garage deteriorated, so did the carriage. The significance of properly maintaining this original piece of fire equipment was completely overlooked and it eventually deteriorated to the point at which the department felt they had no choice but to destroy it. Some time between 1955 and 1957, it was stripped of its beautiful stained glass kerosene lights and lanterns, rolled to an open area near the edge of town and burned on a rubbish pile. The greatness of this loss would not be realized until years later.